Pages

Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel - movie surprise

I am so glad I "forced" myself to watch the movie The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel.  I started watching it through a mixture of laziness (too lazy to switch channels) and apathy (too apathetic to scroll around trying to find something that might be of interest to me at that moment).

I find the movie hard to fully describe it.  If I said it was "heart warming" - you might think it is another of those (boring) Pollyanna movies.  If I said it was "exotic" - you might think it is one of those cultural movies that one must be in the mood for.  Yes, it was all of that. And Not.  It was a worthwhile surprise - and I like to think it was just the Universe giving me a pressie for the day.

The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel was set in India - a country that I have never had much of an urge to want to visit.  But I wonder now if that is going to be true, moving forward.


The colors in the movies were so ..... Glorious. Such richness and depth, I was mesmerised.  I never expected it - but seeing those colours, my heart felt like it was breathing when it didn't even know it was not before.

The story line in The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel is a sheer delight - grounded without being heavy, light without being fluffy.  I won't give you an excerpt which you can easily find on places like IMDB's The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel or if you would like a longer synopsis, you can find that on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_Exotic_Marigold_Hotel.  I can say that this movie portrays one of natural yet life-affirming transformations - for the characters and viewers.  And the characters are charming, surprising, endearing - even those who are not.

I believe one of the reasons why the visuals in this movie work so well is not just of the timeless depth of rich colors, but the realization and the juxaposition of what is and what it still looks like - the poverty vs. the unbridled smiles, the drab surrounds vs. the totally fulfilling bursts of colours.

The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel is based on the book These Foolish Things (2004), by Deborah Moggah.  Knowing that, I will be on the lookout for that book in the hopes it is anywhere as good as the charmingly surprising movie.

However what I really want to do here is "pinch" some of those yearningly colourful images from the movie.  I know I say "you" in case anyone reads this, but ultimately, this blog is really for me and my memories :)

(Note: most of these images are snapshots from trailer videos found on YouTube.)

The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel - Scenaries and Buildings

The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel images

The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel images

The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel images

The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel images

The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel - The People & Colour

The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel images

images from The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel

images from The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel

images from The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel

images from The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel
Judy Dench & Bill Nighy in movie The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel

images from The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel
Look at that smile!
And yet, in now way can these few images captured the fullness and the subtle juxtaposition of muted and the exotically rich colours in the sceneries, the people, the clothing, and the walls, furnitures, buildings.

Before I pop off, let me include a video here.  This is the UK Trailer of images from The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel.



I'll end off this post on The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel with perhaps the most famous and popular quote from the movie ... 

Everything will be all right in the end.  If it is not all right, it is not the end.




No comments:

Post a Comment