Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Pillars of the Earth - TV Series Review

3 nights of Pillars of the Earth that started so well and ended in a vastly different place.

Anyone who has read the thick (and I do mean Thick) volume that is now the universally acclaimed famous "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett will know it is no small achievement. (Both the reading of and the writing).

I must admit I read it a long time ago, way before it became so famous as it is today.  Maybe the TV series contributed to its recent resurrection and ascension to (increased) fame.

Anyway, we got caught up in the TV series that just ended tonight.  It promised well when it began.  Even my partner who normally cannot stay up past 8pm managed to make it to 10.30pm each night with not a yawn in sight.

Not tonight however - the Finale, the supposed Climax.  The diehard that I am, I lasted all the way through.  But only to be able to tell him how wise he was to give it up before the end.

The first night was the best.  Good acting. Great scenes. Captivating storyline.  Big promises.

By the second night, we saw little cracks happening but we hung on.

By the third night, the producers/director/scriptwriter .. someone .. they picked Common Sense up by its very balls and chucked it out of the window.  Scenes and storyline became improbable and downright ridiculous. Storyline was sacrificed on the altar of Big Scenes and Ridiculous Drama. My logic feels insulted!

Shame Shame.  And what I want to know is: who was responsible?

Rating: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment